Monday, February 9, 2009

Bumper Crop 56/365


Once a month the congregation of our church is offered the opportunity to help those in need by bringing food through a program called "Bumper Crop." They are asked to leave the bags at the bumper of their car, hence the name. Our small group had the chance to run this effort this past weekend. A week beforehand we had to collect and staple flyers on 1500 grocery bags. We then put them out on windshields in the parking lot. We ran out of bags and had to quickly add about 900 more to the mix. This week we collected all of the bags and delivered them to a mobile home park where the food is stored, organized and offered to the residents of the park. As we stood in the assembly line from our vehicles into the trailers, I looked to my friend Janel ,who had been fighting back tears all morning. It was such an amazing feeling of unity although our races, income and personal histories were more varied than we could dare have time to discuss. We were simply people. People help other people. Brothers and sisters giving to one another what each of us needed for that moment; whether it be tangible food or the opportunity to serve and be a blessing. My boys were there, right along side everyone else and I pray they will remember how simple and wonderful it is to help one another.



1 Peter 3:8
Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.



Philippians 2:3-5
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.

4 comments:

The Buntens said...

It was an amazing and yes, simple experience. I have not been able to put it into words this week. You did a great job here.

I am such a crybaby.

Unknown said...

Visiting from Dandelion Dayz - loved hearing about your project, and also seeing your daily photos. I too am doing Project 365 here in N Ireland.

DaNella Auten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DaNella Auten said...

Hi, I'm DaNella. Will you be my friend please mark yes or no...
Just kidding but I think we can be friends!!! I am a pastor's wife in Columbiana Al, and I too am passionate about God and Pictures of His creation!!!! I love my Nikon D80 (Named Serindipity) I take pictures as often as I can and am starting a photography business. I found you through ttl yahoo groups.
Now the reason to this tirade. Our church is a small one but we want to do something similar to bumper crop, (lol but ours might be a bumper drop since we only have about 30 peeps). Can you give me a copy of the flier you attached to the bags? I was just thinking yesterday I wanted to find something like that.
Thanks.
Ps. I hope you check yes!
Oh and sorry about the delete, I spelled God, Gode...